Like many sleepers, you probably dread waking up on a Monday morning. No matter how many times the self-help guru tells you it’s all in your head, and you just have to meditate before bed, you still find yourself waking up sore.
Unless your a Shaolin monk, meditating for 3 minutes before falling asleep will not prevent you from sleeping poorly. You’ll still wake up with a sore back when you’re sleeping on a bad mattress.
Sleeping on a sub-par mattress can also affect the quality of the sleep you’re getting. You may not know it, but you’ll constantly be readjusting yourself during the night trying to get more comfortable. All of this extra movement turns what’s supposed to be your rest time into a full-blown workout.
As a result, you’ll wake up feeling groggy. Maybe you’ve resorted to taking sleeping pills or muscle relaxers but still can’t manage to get a good night of sleep. Many sleepers have fully adopted the motto, “Well at least I’ll be able to sleep well when I’m dead.”
However, you could change your life and drastically improve the quality of your sleep in less than a week. You can do this without having to go to a mattress store and deal with pushy sales representatives and mile-high prices either.
We’re talking about the Layla mattress. It’s a bed-in-a-box that’s shipped directly to your door. You won’t have to rent a big truck to bring it home, and you even get a free trial period. Sound too good to be true?
We’re here to prove otherwise in our comprehensive Layla mattress review.
About The Layla Mattress
Layla mattress is cool in multiple different ways. From it’s high-tech appearance to its copper-infused memory foam, the creators of this bed definitely put a lot of attention into the details.
Layla was founded by brothers Akrum and Mohammed Sheikh. Both of them had years of experience as retail executives under their belt when they started on this project. At the time, Akrum Sheikh had already founded Ikasa which had become a huge online furniture distributor.
They brought on Aniqa Chohan to be their creative engineer, and they set out to create a mattress that was going to be truly unique. The combined business and mattress expertise of the Sheikh brothers together with the creative eye of Chohan resulted in the Layla mattress.
It’s an advanced memory foam mattress that has incredible versatility. This mattress was designed to provide maximum airflow which is incredibly important if you live in a warmer climate or just have a tendency to get hot at night.
The Layla mattress also utilizes copper-infused memory foam technology. They are the first mattress in the world to come up with the idea. Copper has been known for thousands of years for its healing properties and health benefits.
Recently, copper technology has made a resurgence. It’s being used to make everything from advanced athletic uniforms to the next generation of smart clothing.However, before now, it’s never been used in a bed.
We have to say, when we first heard about it, we thought it was just another marketing gimmick, but the difference is noticeable, to say the least. You will sleep cooler, sleep deeper, and might even get a little bit of an energy boost!
In today’s Layla mattress review, we’ll examine just how copper can help you sleep better.
Layla Mattress Review
So, we’ve already established that copper technology is Layla’s claim to fame. However, they have a bunch of other great features that make for a truly special mattress.
One of the most notable of these is that the mattress can flip over for a different level of firmness, which is great if you’re a picky sleeper. The Layla mattress also has an unprecedented lifetime warranty.
This bed is built to last you your entire life, and provide you with some of the most peaceful nights of sleep that you’ll ever get.
We’ll start off our Layla mattress review by listing some of the basic features, then we’ll give you some more detailed technical information before giving you a quick pricing guide and our personal opinion.
- Double-sided firmness
- Advanced thermo-gel cover
- Copper technology
- Cool-flow memory foam
- Lifetime warranty
- 120-Night trial
The Layla mattress clearly has a bunch of high-tech features. At first glance, these might be a little bit confusing, so let’s take a few minutes to unwrap them.
Sleeping hot is one of the biggest causes of a poor night of sleep. When your body is hot at night, you sweat a lot, which dehydrates you. Your heart rate will also rise which means that your body isn’t getting half of the important rest that it needs.
Not only does the Layla mattress have a really neat cubically designed cover, but it’s also infused with a thermo-gel. Originally designed to combat wildfires, the engineers at Layla noticed that it had properties which would make it great for their mattress design.
Besides being a natural flame-retardant (which is great if you have a house fire), thermo-gel is also heat resistant and moisture-wicking. This cover allows the Layla mattress to stay cool all night long.
It works in congruence with the copper-infused foam’s natural conductivity to transfer heat away from your body and out into the atmosphere.
Four Layers of Memory Foam
The Layla mattress is a pure memory foam mattress as opposed to an innerspring or hybrid mattress. Although a quality innerspring mattress such as the Saatva can give you a good night of sleep, the average innerspring that you’ll find on a showroom floor just can’t compete.
Memory foam gives sleepers a level of support that you won’t find many other places. It’s designed to fit the natural curves of your body and ensure that no part of your neck, back, shoulders, or legs are strained and unsupported.
The Layla mattress features two layers of supporting foam sandwiched between two layers of copper-infused memory foam to create a double-sided mattress for those who prefer firm or soft.
Let’s take a closer look.
- 3” Soft Copper-Infused Memory Foam: Directly underneath the thermo-gel cover, lies 3” of memory foam. This copper-infused foam conducts heat away from your body and conforms to your natural shape to provide enhanced comfort.
- 2” Convoluted Supporting Foam: Underneath the initial memory foam layer is 2” of support foam. This layer has a convoluted design similar to that of an egg carton. This provides maximum ventilation and allows the mattress to breathe.
- 4.5” Base Support Foam: Directly in the middle of the mattress lies 4.5” of base support. This foam layer is what provides the resistance that you need to prevent too much sinkage. You never want to feel like your mattress is swallowing you as this cause more problems than sleeping on an old innerspring bed.
- 1” Firm Copper-Infused Memory Foam: The bottom layer of the mattress is a denser version of the same copper memory foam used on the top layer. This is for those who plan on flipping the mattress over for a firmer sleeping experience.
When purchasing a Layla mattress, you don’t decide the level of firmness upon ordering. Instead, you can choose between plush and firm when you’re setting it up. One side of the bed provides a firm sleeping experience, and the other provides a softer experience.
While this does limit your options initially, it gives you room for change down the road. As time goes on, your sleeping needs will change, and you may find yourself wanting a different level of support.
Layla has a lifetime warranty, so you’re most likely going to have this bed for a long time. Having the ability to change the way you sleep at will is a great extra feature to have. It’s also nice if you’re using the Layla mattress in a guest bedroom or at a bed and breakfast set-up, as it will provide your guests with options as well.
Copper is a type of metal which falls into the category of superconductors along with Diamond, Silver, and Gold. The latter three are obviously very expensive, so copper makes a great compromise. It’s used in electrical wires as well as numerous scientific applications.
Why does superconductivity matter when it comes to a mattress?
The first reason is that it keeps you cool.
- Cool Sleeping: Think of your body as a giant heat generator. Foam has a natural tendency to absorb and retain this heat, which can make you hot during the night. However, the copper fibers woven into the Layla mattress’ memory foam naturally draw this heat away from your body and into the convoluted foam layer. The empty air pockets in this eggshell-like foam allow the heat to ventilate out into the open. The result is you sleep cool all night long.
- Antimicrobial: Copper is naturally antimicrobial. Scientists still haven’t figured out exactly why, but bad bacteria do everything in their power to stay away from copper. This means that your mattress will remain clean, and won’t develop an odor even after years of sleeping on it.
- Ancient Healing: The ancient Egyptians believed that copper had numerous healing benefits. Today, copper-infused anti-aging creams are very popular. Although there is no conclusive evidence, proponents of natural medicine believe that it has healing and rejuvenating properties.
- Extra Support: Copper naturally becomes firm when places under pressure. This means that no matter how heavy your are or how many people are sleeping in your bed, the mattress can support them.
There are very few mattresses on the market (or products in general) that provide a lifetime warranty. Usually, the manufacturers who do offer a lifetime warranty have a lot of fine print and situations in which they’ll deny warranty claims.
Layla keeps it simple: If the mattress sags or loses more than 1” in height, then they will replace it, free of charge.
No Off-Gassing Smell
Almost every bed-in-a-box has an off-gassing smell and must be left to ventilate for a day or two before sleeping on it. In almost every Layla mattress review, the customer stated that the bed had little to no smell at all and that they could sleep on it the same night.
With all of this technology, you would expect this bed to be fairly expensive. In reality, the Layla mattress is one of the most affordable beds on the internet. Their twin mattress starts at just $500, and their California King is no more than $1,000.
Layla also runs sales every month, where buyers can get up to $100 off the retail price.
An honest Layla mattress review should point out the cons, and we found two that stood out. While they aren’t deal breakers, they are definitely worth taking into account.
- Lack of Bounce: The Layla mattress is an all-foam mattress which means that it has little to no bounce.
- Difficult to Flip: If you’re an indecisive sleeper and constantly want to switch sides, you may find this bed awkward to flip. You’re going to want to have two people on this job.
- Mattress May Be Too Firm or Too Soft: One side is plush, and the other is firm. Unfortunately, there isn’t a medium-firm level available. Thankfully, you can try the Layla mattress out for 120 nights before making a final decision.
Pros and Cons
|Copper technology keeps you cool and keeps bacteria away||Flipping over the bed is problematic|
|Affordable||Soft side can be too plush; firm side can be too firm|
|Lifetime warranty||No bounce|
|Four-layer memory foam design|
Sizing and Pricing
|Twin||39” x 75” x 10”||$499|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 10”||$599|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10″||$799|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||$899|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$999|
|California King||72” x 84” x 10”||$999|
Well, this concludes our Layla mattress review. If you’re looking for a high-tech, affordable mattress, then it’s hard to go wrong with the Layla mattress. This truly is one of the coolest-sleeping mattresses that you will ever have the pleasure of owning. It’s perfect whether you live in a hot climate or if you just have a partner who likes to turn the heat up high at night.
You also can’t beat the lifetime warranty that they provide. Few other mattress companies even come close to being as generous as Layla. You truly are getting your money’s worth in both quality and durability.