Have you ever purchased a new bed or furniture and then woken up the next day with a headache or a strange cough? That’s because of the chemicals that have been floating around in your home all night while you were asleep.
Sounds scary, right?
It’s certainly something that you should be concerned about. In fact, a growing number of studies have come out recently stating the dangers of certain mattresses.
While the mattress itself may come from semi-organic materials, it’s manufacturing process is nothing short of harmful to both people and the environment. Many of these cheap mattresses are made by with toxic chemicals and used cheap unprotected labor.
Today we’ll be giving you our honest Zenhaven mattress review. This mattress was built to show the world a new way to create beds. A way that doesn’t involve toxic waste, a bad workplace, and harmful odors.
About The Zenhaven Mattress
Before we get into our Zenhaven mattress review, let’s look at the company. The Zenhaven was made by a mattress company named Saatva. They were one of America’s first online bed delivery services, and their original luxury mattress was one of the best-selling beds in the country.
After proving to the world that they could make a great spring mattress, they decided that they could also create one of the best latex mattresses the world had ever seen. Saatva also determined that their new Zenhaven mattress would be made almost exclusively with organic materials.
The results couldn’t have been better. This bed is a true pleasure to sleep on. The supportive latex relieves strain from all of your painful pressure points and cradles your body’s natural curves. The Zenhaven mattress fits your back like a glove.
Zenhaven Mattress Review
We’re going to start off our Zenhaven mattress review by giving you a brief overview of some of the key features that make this bed special. After that, we’ll get into some of the benefits of the Zenhaven design, tell you about a couple of complaints, and give you a handy pricing guide.
- Organic Talalay latex mattress
- Flip for different comfort levels
- Made with all-natural fabrics
- 20-Year Saatva warranty
- White Glove Delivery Service
After extracting latex from the tree, there are two processes that you can choose to engineer your foam with; Dunlop or Talalay. This process was developed by the three Talalay brothers in the mid-1900s as a solution to the problems of Dunlop latex.
Although Dunlop latex is cheaper, it’s not as supportive, consistent, or durable. Not to mention it traps heat. The engineers at Zenhaven wanted to make the best latex mattress that money could buy, so Talalay was the obvious choice.
Once it’s fully expanded and aerated, this bed can weigh a lot, so it may be difficult to move.
- Enhanced airflow: Because of the vacuum created during the Talalay process, the latex cells are 50% larger than those in Dunlop latex. These large cells allow air to freely move throughout the mattress. In fact, according to factory tests, Talalay had 228% more airflow than cheaper Dunlop models. This means that you’ll be able to sleep cool every night, even if you live in a hot climate.
- Hypoallergenic: Talalay latex is 100% hypoallergenic. This means that it’s perfect for those who suffer from seasonal allergies or the chemicals that are present in many mainstream mattress brands. However, it’s worth noting that if you suffer from a latex allergy, you should still stay away from this bed to be safe.
- Resists Mold: Mold is a fungus that tends to develop in cool, dark, and damp areas. Often, your mattress provides all three of these. This can have a detrimental effect on your health, and every year, people rush into hospitals with lung problems caused by mold. Talalay latex is naturally mold-resistant. The advanced airflow provided by the large cells means that your mattress will rarely ever become damp, and you won’t have to worry about these problems.
- Repels Dust Mites: The unique cell structure of Talalay latex means that it’s hard for dust and dirt to build up. Because they are so large, and there is a constant airflow, dust tends to blow be blown out and never has a chance to settle.
By limiting dust’s ability to build up, Talalay repels dust mites which rely on dust for their food source. While the most sure way to prevent dust from getting into your mattress is with a mattress cover, the Talalay used in the Zenhaven mattress goes a long way to help.
Aside from the 100% all-natural Talalay latex which makes up the interior of the mattress, Zenhaven wanted to take their eco-friendly mattress a step further. They decided that they would also use organic materials to create the fabric outer of the bed.
- Organic Cotton: The cover of the Zenhaven mattress is made from locally-sourced organic cotton. Unlike most mattresses which use a synthetic-cotton blend that can leave you itchy and hot at night, cotton is naturally cooling to the touch. It has excellent moisture wicking capabilities, and it’s also very easy to clean. If you accidentally spill something on your bed, all you have to do is wipe it up with a little bit of soap and warm water.
- Organic Wool: Underneath this cotton cover is a layer of organic wool. This wool is sourced from hillside shepherds in New Zealand and is as authentic as it gets. Wool has a superior ability to regulate temperature, and also provides a level of soft comfort that other mattresses need to use chemical gels to provide.
Chances are your old mattress is teeming with bacteria. While this may be an unpleasant thought, it’s a very important consideration when you’re purchasing and setting up a new mattress.
Bacteria seek out mattresses for the same reason as dust mites. Inside the surface of your mattress lies dirt, skin cells, oil, and moisture. This is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. Besides being unsanitary, these bacteria can also have a bad effect on your health and your skin.
Zenhaven treats all of their mattresses with an all-natural antimicrobial solution. This solution seeps into the fabric and latex and fights bacteria off for up to 20-years.
Free In-Home Setup and On-Time Delivery
Most bed-in-a-box companies mail the bed to your doorstep and expect you to do all of the work. Zenhaven is a little bit different. They offer Saatva’s white glove delivery service free of charge. Their associates will deliver the mattress to your doorstep and get everything set up in your room of choice. This means that you won’t have to spend hours lugging the heavy mattress around and trying to figure out where exactly you want it.
These white glove delivery associates will treat you and your home with the utmost level of respect. They are patient, hard-working, and will work with you to make sure that you are 100% satisfied with where your mattress is set up.
On delivery day, they will give you a four-hour window in which they will arrive. If they are so much as 10 minutes late, then you are entitled to a $99 rebate.
An honest Zenhaven mattress review should list some of the cons of the bed. While there wasn’t anything outstanding, there were a couple of drawbacks. Buyers should be aware of these before bringing this bed home.
- The Zenhaven is Expensive: While the Zenhaven is still a far cheaper option than buying a latex mattress from a brick and mortar store (which costs around $4,000), it’s still quite expensive. Just for a twin size, you’ll be paying almost $1,300. When compared to other online mattresses such as the Layla, the Zenhaven is almost twice as expensive. You do get your money’s worth when it comes to quality and customer service. However, this isn’t a bed for those on a budget.
- It’s Also Heavy: The Zenhaven is a double-sided bed. You can flip it for a softer or firmer sleeping experience. The white glove delivery team will take care of the initial set up. However, if you change your mind and want to use the other side, you’ll have to move the bed yourself. Once it’s fully expanded and aerated, this bed can weigh a lot, and it’s also pretty hard to move.
Pros and Cons
|Organic materials||It’s expensive|
|High-quality Talalay latex||It’s heavy|
|Double-sided comfort||Not a good choice for people who have latex allergies|
|Free delivery and setup|
Sizing and Pricing
|Twin||39” x 75” x 10”||$1,299|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 10”||$1,349|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10″||$1,699|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||$1,899|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$2,499|
|California King||72” x 84” x 10”||$2,499|
If you’ve got the money, then the Zenhaven mattress is the best latex mattress that money can buy. It’s incredibly comfortable to sleep on and almost feels as if it was made specifically for you.
The high-quality Talalay latex has numerous benefits over competing latex mattresses which use Dunlop latex. The Zenhaven has superior airflow and breathability to keep you cool. The high-quality latex also repels dust mites and mold, and provides great support for your neck and back.
This concludes our in-depth Zenhaven mattress review. We did our best to give you our honest opinion about this bed. It is built with the utmost attention to quality and detail. The only main drawback is that it’s on the pricey side.